Thursday, April 15, 2010

Point C

I was listening to a tape today of a homeschooling mom teaching about goal-setting and long-term planning. She described something she called "Bend in the Road Syndrome" which happens when you are at Point A and think you see God leading you toward Point B so you head that direction. All of a sudden, it is clear that the road is taking a sharp turn and you can see that Point C is your ultimate destination. Does this mean God changed His mind? Not at all. Instead, she surmised that God had Point C in His sights all along but knew that if He sent us directly from Point A to Point C, we wouldn't go.

And she's right.

As I sit here on the last night of this almost five-month journey of living on the road and having no idea where me and my three little ones would lay our heads from month to month (right now everyone's but mine is on a pillow in a Holiday Inn in Florence, SC), I know for sure that if God had suggested going from our last home directly to Richmond - a mere hour away - I wouldn't have gone. And, in fact, when it was first suggested to me, I absolutely refused to even consider it. I pitched a fit uglier than you can imagine.

And all along, He knew I would.

So the destination continued to appear to be Point B (Las Vegas) while all the while God was molding and changing and shaping my heart so that He could give me His best at Point C. Maybe someday I won't be so stubborn and hard to harness. But until then, I'll be thankful for the roadwork that occurred between Points A and C.

How about you? What have been your own Points A, B, and C? And how has God changed you in the process?


5 comments:

  1. I can definitely see God taking Sean and I to point C from point A through point B. In this transitional process, we've thought so many things may or will happen, and ultimately God has been teaching us to stop trying to "figure out" what He's doing and just follow Him. I don't know what our point C is, but I'm at the place where I'm willing to follow God to wherever that point is. He's had to work hard, but He's finally "broken" me - and I wouldn't have it any other way. Love you, Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point A was church planting in my hometown. Point B was my husband being signed to Sparrow Records and we went on a big time tour...
    In 2009 we were dropped from the label and now we are a part of another church plant 8 hours from home. (I wouldn't have come if everything hadn't all fallen apart along the way.)
    *My husband wrote a song about this which has just been released...independently. :) Check it out on iTunes- Daniel Doss - Masterpiece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your heart Nikki! I can relate! Not until we have gone through incredibly hard things are we able to see God's perfect plan in it. I am so thankful for those mountaintop experiences and yes...the valleys too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki, I love reading your blog. I definitely needed to look at Point B [Atlanta Christian College] to end up at MACU. During that time I learned to really trust God, take a huge leap of faith, and pray like I've never prayed before.

    Also, You were in Florence, SC... I was under an hour away in Russelville... on tour... with MACU's Praise Team. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so true! thanks for sharing this. such a cute blog!

    nicole visiting from http://lettersfromcoco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Bring it