Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Derailed

My blog train had finally pulled into the station. It was fueled and ready to roll. It was steaming down the tracks. And then a sniffling, sneezing, coughing, stuffy-headed blonde girl derailed it. I had the best intention of blogging for today. Even knew what I was going to write about. And then a dear, sick, little girl who looks exactly like me had me awake for 2-3 hours last night because she couldn't stop coughing and the rest is history.

Isn't that how life is though? Don't we think that we have plans? I know I sure do. I planned to one day become a foreign service officer. Didn't happen. I planned to become a successful politician who changed how things were done in D.C. Nope, haven't heard my name spoken in the Senate chamber lately. I planned to have four children but found out that one's heart stopped beating before it made its way into the world. I planned to be a successful church-planting wife who could mentor and encourage others. I'm no longer in ministry. I planned to be the most organized homeschooling mother ever. Some days I barely keep my head above water and we're only doing second grade. I planned to sell my house and move to Las Vegas. The house sold two months ago, and I'm still sitting here waiting to go. I planned for life to be easy. I found out that it's not. In fact, it's very, very hard.

Sometimes in my darkest moments, I have lamented alongside Job when he says,
"My days have passed, my plans are shattered, and so are the desires of my heart." (Job 17:10) I have had my plans shattered. From sick babies to careers to relationships to my fairytale-like existence. My plans are scattered all over the floor in a million tiny, little pieces with no hope for resurrection under my own power. But when I get up off the floor from trying to reassemble my itty-bitty, teeny-tiny, little plans and I look deeper into God's Word and I realize that I don't really want my plans. I want the plans of the One who writes,
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'"

Oh, dear God, allow me to relinquish control of these plans I thought I had. Teach me how to avoid the foolishness of making plans apart from You. Let me seek Your heart - the heart that wants me to prosper and wants no harm for me, the heart that gives me hope and a future - with all I have. Listen to me, God. Be found by me. And while You're at it, derail every last plan I have. Thank you in advance for what You've got planned. My heart trusts Yours that it's going to be amazing.

7 comments:

  1. Amen sister, Nikki! HIS plans are the very best! I can testify as another "derailed sister". I love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this awesome post today, I am reminded of how my life is so not what I had planned. From the career and kids to the geographic specifics. But I thank God that He is in control. God has purposed to work a life message through me and I am exactly where I am suppose to be in my life. The words of the Susan Boyle song ring true, " I am living the life I was born to live." Have an amazing day. st ;P~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nikki. I needed to hear that today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are blogging. Love those verses from Jeremiah. We used those verses in a video we made about Carly's adoption. That wasn't our original plan either. Our plan was to get pregnant and have a baby boy with big brown eyes. That didn't happen, but we were blessed to adopt a beautiful Chinese daughter. Then, our next plan was to adopt another Chinese daughter, but after years of waiting, we decided to go to Taiwan and adopt a boy. That's right about the time God decided to surprise us with that biological baby boy with the big brown eyes we thought we were going to have about 7 years ago!

    God must have a good chuckle when he sees us scurrying around making "plans". His plans are always way, way better than anything we could cook up and his timing is perfect, though it's hard to understand sometimes!

    I think I finally get that I need to let him be in charge of my life and quit trying to figure everything out. But, I have a feeling He's got quite a bit more to teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki...I am sooooo glad you are blogging!

    You know, my life is not how I planned it AT ALL. It's totally BETTER! And I know His plans for me aren't even close to being over! I cannot wait to see what God has in store for me next.

    I need to book mark this one to read whenever MY plans seem to be going down the tubes. Remind myself that no matter what I had planned, HIS plans are infinitely better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki, I am so glad that you are sharing what's on your heart =)

    ReplyDelete

Bring it