Sunday, August 22, 2010

Having a Birthday Sister - How Sweet It Is!





































On August 22, 2006, the obstetrician decided to induce me (my third induction - my babies really like me apparently) and began the Pitocin drip at Mary Washington Hospital. Well, that Pitocin dripped. And dripped. And dripped. For 10 hours. I had full-on, wretched Pitocin-induced contractions. Tons of pain. And still, the little girl inside me was just not interested in coming out. Fearing a c-section was in my future, I quickly agreed when my doctor suggested stopping the Pitocin drip and trying again tomorrow. I was ELATED. Not because the pain was going to stop (though that was great.) And not because I had avoided a c-section (though that was reason for celebration.) I was thrilled, overjoyed, ecstatic because "trying again tomorrow" meant:

I WAS GOING TO HAVE A BABY ON MY BIRTHDAY!

I mean, really, how cool of a birthday present is that?! Some people tell me that they don't think they would like "sharing" their birthday with someone so close to them, but I love it! All year long, Cana and I call each other birthday sisters. We even have a little chant we do. It is a joy to have her to celebrate and plan with! Before her, my birthdays were really not a big deal. No one made much of them. It was really just another day. But then Cana came and it was a reason to be excited and sing and get "birthday secrets" and just enjoy one another. It is so fun!

I have absolutely loved these last four years with a little girl in my life. She is fun and charming and loving and smart. She gives her brothers a run for their money and doesn't take much grief from anyone else either. She absolutely adores having me as her birthday sister/mom (most of the time) and I appreciate her gentle spirit and kind heart. She softens me.

So, today, I celebrate the day that my birthday changed for the better.


2 comments:

  1. How fun to celebrate together!!! That is SUCH a cool birthday present. Beautiful, both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE and CELEBRATE the BOTH of you!
    How sweet it is, indeed!!

    ReplyDelete

Bring it